A variety of committees, under the umbrella of the Graduate Council, work in concert with the Graduate College dean to establish policies and procedures for the Graduate College. The Graduate Council includes one delegate from each academic department that sponsors an advanced degree program, plus representatives from the Graduate Student and Professional Association.
The following committees play a critical role in forming procedures and policies that affect the Graduate College, its faculty members, and its students.
Graduate Council 2014-2015 (PDF)
2014-2015 Graduate Council Meeting Dates and Times
- September 17, 2014 - Student Union 209, 2–4 p.m.
- CANCELLED - November 19, 2014 - Student Union 213, 2–4 p.m.
- February 19, 2015 - Student Union 208A, 2–4 p.m.
- April 8, 2015 - Student Union 209, 2–4 p.m.
- Executive Committee Consists of chairs of all Graduate College Committees, Graduate Council Chair, and the GPSA president. The Executive advises the Graduate College dean and aids in strategic planning for the Graduate College.
- Curriculum Committee Reviews and approves new graduate courses and graduate curriculum revisions.
- New Program & Program Revisions Committee Reviews and recommends approval of new graduate degree programs and changes to existing programs.
- Graduate Student Funding Committee Develops guidelines for awarding graduate student funding for fellowships and scholarships, selects fellowship and scholarship recipients, and selects outstanding graduate faculty and outstanding thesis & dissertation award winners.
- Program Review Committee Works in conjunction with the Faculty Senate to review existing graduate programs.
- Faculty and Student Issues Committee Reviews and develops policies related to faculty and student welfare, and serves as reviewing and recommending body on select faculty and student academic appeals.
- Professional Development Committee Cultivates opportunities for professional development activities and skills for graduate and professional students, oversees te Graduate Research Certificate Program, and slects the annual Graduate Student Teaching Award.
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Grad R2PC
This special committee for the 2014-2015 academic year will collaborate with the Graduate Council, the Graduate College, and graduate programs on campuswide planning related to graduate Recruitment, Retention, Progression, and Completion. Dr. Jessica Word is Chair of this committee.
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Diversity and Inclusivity
This important committee has been established to consider the significance of, and strategies for, becoming a Tier One minority serving Graduate College. As we proceed with Graduate R2PC planning and implementation, diversity and inclusivity are critical to our Graduate College mission; this graduate faculty committee will support and help guide our efforts. Dr. Anjala Krishen is Chair of this committee.
For more information about the role of the Graduate Council and the work of the Graduate Committees, please contact Dr. Kendall Hartley, Associate Dean of the graduate college, at 702-895-3320, or email@example.com.