Admissions - International Student

How to Apply

The Graduate College requires the same application and admission materials from all prospective international graduate students, regardless of department of interest. Individual academic departments may require satisfactory composite scores on standardized tests, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, portfolio, or any combination of these items. Because departmental requirements vary, refer to your department of interest for specific application requirements.

  1. Review Admission Requirements
    Review requirements for advanced degree and certificate program applicants. Be sure to check your department of interest as well because departmental requirements vary.

  2. Application Procedures
    To apply to the Graduate College, submit the following admission materials for consideration:
    • A nonrefundable admission application fee of $95.00, payable online by credit card or by check, to the Board of Regents, UNLV.
    • *Note: Applications and materials will not be processed until the application fee is received. Applicants to any UNLV graduate program must pay the admission application evaluation fee for each application filed. Denied applicants, who later seek admission to the same or other UNLV degree program, are required to pay an additional application fee.

    • All applicants are required to submit one official transcript from all postsecondary institutions attended, showing all degrees and coursework, the dates awarded, and grades received.
    • Since May 1, 2010, all applicants (international and domestic) to graduate degree programs (except applicants to the College of Engineering, Economics, or Management Information Systems; these applicants are exempt from this policy and may apply directly to the Graduate College) are required to provide a course-by-course evaluation of all foreign credentials.

      Foreign credentials refer to transcripts from educational institutions outside the United States. The UNLV Graduate College accepts foreign credential evaluations from any current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) with a course-by-course evaluation and grade point average (GPA) included. For a list of all current members please visit their website at

      Our preferred list of foreign credential evaluation companies includes:

      • World Education Services
      • Educational Credential Evaluators
      • International Education Research Foundation
      • Josef Silny & Associates
      • Educational Perspectives
      • International Academic Credential Evaluators

      Beginning in the Fall 2015 semester, all applicants to any UNLV graduate program who have received degrees from the following schools are exempt from the foreign credential evaluation requirement, unless the UNLV Graduate College has concerns or questions about the validity or content of transcripts:


      • Australian National University
      • University of Melbourne
      • University of New South Wales
      • University of Queensland
      • University of Sydney
      • University of Western Australia


      • McGill University
      • Simon Fraser University
      • University of Alberta
      • University of British Columbia
      • University of Calgary
      • University of Toronto
      • University of Waterloo


      • Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
      • Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
      • Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
      • Indian Institute of Technology Madras
      • University of Delhi

      New Zealand:

      • Massey University
      • University of Auckland
      • University of Otago
      • University of Waikato

      Puerto Rico:

      • Interamerican University of Puerto Rico
      • Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico
      • University of Puerto Rico


      • Nanyang Technological University Singapore
      • National University of Singapore

      South Africa:

      • University of Cape Town
      • University of Pretoria
      • University of South Africa
      • University of Witwatersrand

      United Kingdom:

      • Durham University
      • Imperial College London
      • Kings College London
      • University College London
      • University of Birmingham
      • University of Bristol
      • University of Cambridge
      • University of Edinburgh
      • University of Glasgow
      • University of Manchester
      • University of Oxford
      • University of Warwick

    • A High School Leaving Certificate if you attended school in India.

    • Proof of English proficiency is required if you are from a country where English is not the native language, or if you did not receive a degree from an institution where English is the primary documented language of instruction. Starting in the Fall 2015 semester, applicants may submit either official or unofficial copies of TOEFL or IELTS scores for initial application evaluation. Applicants should send official scores to UNLV Graduate College through the testing agency, or email your unofficial score reports to If admitted on unofficial scores, your admission will be conditional upon receiving official exam scores early in the semester of admission.
    • Test scores must be less than two years old at the time of application. Acceptable scores that evidence sufficient English proficiency for each test are as follow:

  3. If needed, send any additional Graduate College admission materials (for example: your admission receipt with your check payment; your transcripts if you did not upload them into your ApplyYourself online application; or your official transcripts upon admission; etc.) to:

    University of Nevada, Las Vegas
    Graduate College
    FDH 352
    Box 451017
    4505 S. Maryland Parkway,
    Las Vegas, NV 89154-1017

    Mailing addresses for departments are available on department websites.

  4. Submit any additional required admission materials to your department of interest, if you did not upload them into your online application. Please check with your graduate program of interest in order to determine their specific admission requirements prior to submitting your online application.

  5. Submit Financial Certification form and Bank Letter to Office of International Students and Scholars.

    Before an I-20 can be issued by the Office of International Students & Scholars, all international students must submit a completed Financial Certification form and bank letter. Even if you anticipate receiving a Graduate Assistantship, you must submit the Financial Certification form and bank letter. Click here to locate the Financial Certification form.

Turn to the Graduate Catalog to learn more.

Consult the Office of International Students and Scholars for instruction on where to send your Certificate of Finance, how to get your UNLV I-20, and information regarding student visas.